Monday, December 13, 2004

A Fare to Remember (see what I did?!)

Watched Taxi Driver last night. Again. Does Travis Bickle ever loose his sting? As it turns out, yes! Last night, whilst watching it, I just felt incredibly sorry for him – that one line ‘Loneliness has followed me my whole life, everywhere. In bars, in cars, sidewalks, stores, everywhere. There's no escape. I'm God's lonely man.’ Got me right here (*points to general area of heart*)!! And his big one ‘Here is a man who would not take it anymore…..Here is a man who stood up!’ But he DID take it, and came out smiling the smile of the gormless – contented in life or death, a bullet or a smile from strangers would have served the same purpose and brought the same effect! Last night was the first time in my life that I have watched Taxi Driver and actually choked up!

I still STILL STILL haven’t got my license. What is the story with Wicklow County Council??? Have they got no soul, no heart, no overtime??!!

Christmas is drawing near (extra marks for originality of statement!), and I thought I had all my gifts bought – but yesterday I realised that I have only bought for one person (you know who you are!). So, now I’ve panicked and started buying more unneeded things online…must spend day in town shopping! Must stop avoiding it! Must not forget that the meaning of Christmas is not presents, but is all about Jesus’ birthday.

Quick reminiscence – Spike Milligan once told a story of Jesus College in England. The phone rings on Christmas Day,
…Gatehouse guard answers
‘Hello?’
…voice on the other end of the line,
‘Is this Jesus?’
…guard replies,
‘Yes’
…raucous singing,
‘Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you’!

No comments: