Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Blowing my own trumpet...

Well, yet again I have my boyfriend to thank for another progression in my life!! He constantly pushes me to do things I wouldn't normally do, so THANK YOU ALAN!! He sent me a link to a competition on the BBC website for people to write a piece on movies of 2006 with a view to becoming an online Oscar panelist for the BBC website. Well, just as the whistle blew on the fantastic Liverpool whoomping of Chelsea on Saturday, I got a phone call from the BBC to say that I am one of the six.

Here's the 100-word max. entry that got me a place on the website:

2006? Blockbuster Bond returned with brightened hair, smashing pre-conceptions that blondness means blandness. 'Little Miss Sunshine' wowed cynics with a musical display mixing humour and a squirming mortification not seen since 'Napoleon Dynamite'. Politically, 'Syriana' astounded, 'United 93' overwrought, 'The Wind That Shakes The Barley' stung...we still care, even though we are doomed (according to Gore!). Documadness from 'Grizzly Man' and 'Borat' elevated a filmtastic year – not to mention a Scorcese return to form with 'The Departed'. A ferocious mind-bender, this was my definite movie of 2006 – golden statue finally beckons? Maybe if Dirty Harry stays home this Oscar night...!

So, post phonecall I had to write a short piece on my predictions for the Oscars. Thanks to being snowed in on Monday, I had to do it from home, and use a crappy picture from my laptop...not my best side, let me tell you!!

Here's a link to what went up on the website:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6286925.stm

Now I've to write my reaction to the predictions - so I'll publish that piece here too. Woo, and indeed, Hoo!

No comments: